Does this sound familiar?… a discomfort or pain in the middle of the chest or back accompanied by a bitter acidic taste in the mouth. Although this is called heartburn, it has nothing to do with the heart but everything to do with the stomach. When our stomach contents leak back into the gut (the tube that connects the mouth and the stomach), we experience heartburn. Many of us have a huge bottle of antacids handy in case of these sudden attacks.
Heart burn, like diabetes is a lifestyle condition and can easily be eliminated by making better lifestyle choices. You can treat heartburn naturally and lead a healthier happier life.
- Eliminate high fat foods from your diet. These cause obesity which is a leading reason for heartburn. Eat instead foods rich in fiber and balance your meals into 6 small portions instead of the usual 3 big meals.
- Get into a weight reduction program. You will like what you see.
- Stick to a regular exercise program. Keeping fit will keep you feeling wonderful.
- Have water between meals and not with meals to avoid bloating after meals.
- Excellent stomach liquids are mango, guava, papaya, pear and juiced cabbage or potato.
- Chew your food slowly savoring every small bite.
- Avoid foods and drinks that trigger heartburn, like, sodas, caffeine, chocolate, peppermint, tomatoes, onions, citrus foods and citrus drinks.
- An apple a day will keep the heartburn away.
- Eat 2 – 3 hours before going to bed to give your stomach time to empty itself.
- Have your bed physically tilted upward (pillows wont help) such that your head is always above your body when you sleep. This keeps the stomach contents in the stomach.
- Do not smoke because nicotine in smoke is a trigger for heartburn.
- Avoid tight cloths. The stomach is pressed into the diaphragm and forced to relieve itself at your expense.
- If you must pop a pill, make it natural e.g. Siberian Pine Nut Oil. It is a powerful antioxidant for digestive problems including heartburn.
- Naturally occurring herbs excellent for heartburn are caraway, clowns mustard plant, German chamomile, greater celandine, lemon balm, licorice and milk thistle.
- For spices, look to cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and sage.
- Milk lovers should drink only the fat free skim milk variety.
- Chew gum that is sugar free to keep your teeth healthy.
- Consider your imbibing days over, that is, avoid alcohol.
- Homemade heartburn remedies can include, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey in a cup of warm water.
- Pregnancy in the third trimester can trigger heartburn. Consult a doctor immediately this happens for further guidance on which natural remedies to use. Keep baby safe at all times.
Keep a diary of your new plans and stick to them and watch heartburn burn itself out of your life.